Did iPhone 'explode' in 17-year-old's pocket?

Video footage of an iPhone allegedly exploding in a young man's pocket has been posted online.

Henri Helminen, a 17-year-old boy, is seen pulling out the violently smoking device from his pocket and throwing it on the floor in security tape footage acquired by Finnish news site Kauppalehti.


"The phone was working perfectly" beforehand, Helminen told Kauppalehti. The unidentified iPhone model bought no more than three months ago was destroyed in the fiery incident, he added.

Apple did not respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

Authenticating the video is nigh on impossible. However, it's not the first time that iPhone users have reported their shiny rectangles self-immolating.

In 2011, one Australian airline reported an iPhone 4 glowing red and emitting thick smoke as a plane landed in Sydney, according to The Telegraph. The case was referred to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) for investigation.

In a follow-up report, the safety regulator said that there had been "no previous record in the ATSB's databases of self-ignition involving mobile telephones or other portable electronic devices" on aircraft in the country, and the incident was a result of a "misplaced screw" in the device thought to have been from a shoddy repair job.

A week later, another iPhone 4 "spontaneously combusted" in Brazil. As it happened on dry land, there was no official investigation into the cause of the incident.

Samsung has also seen its flagship Galaxy S III smartphone in the news under similar circumstances, when a report of a recently released Android device "burned from the inside out" after the owner connected it to a non-charging car mount.

Photos posted on an Irish message board showed that the device's underside had melted around the charging point.

Samsung acknowledged the board postings, and signalled that an investigation would be carried out. "We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously," a statement said.

Via CNET



Add Your Comment 3


Post comment as
 

BeauW posted a comment   
Australia

Before you judge me as an Android fan boy, I was an Apple user for multiple years, probably longer than Android has been around.

It would not surprise me that such a thing happened, considering Apple products (iPhones particularly) are assembled in a poorly maintained, under paid staffed, suicide netted factory in China. There were petitions all over Cause and sites like that a few months ago regarding the issue. If it were made in a place (no matter where in the world) with better working conditions and a maintained workplace where their staff don't want to commit suicide every day due to being underpaid and overused, things like this wouldn't happen.

I'm not sure on where/how the Galaxy SIII is made, but with all the manufacturers that Android run under, you'd think some story of such would also leak if their manufacturing plants were the same condition.

I didn't believe the SIII one straight off the bat as it had no evidence whatsoever except photos of a burnt charging port. Multiple cases since this Apple manufacturing story was leaked makes me think even more how Apple has gone downhill since the departure of Steve Jobs (RIP), I'm sure he wouldn't be happy.

 

SamuelI1 posted a comment   
Australia

The exploding SIII story turned out to be staged. The kid put his phone in a microwave.

Source: http://www.droidmatters.com/news/independent-investigation-determines-that-exploding-galaxy-s-iii-caused-by-external-energy-source-microwave/

 

Will1505 posted a comment   

No innovative that it will light a fire for you.............."innovation in every dimension"




Sponsored Links

Recently Viewed Products