CBS Interactive Privacy Principles
Choice: CBS Interactive allows you to enjoy content and features on CBS Interactive Web Sites without directly providing any contact information.
- If you choose to share contact information with us, CBS Interactive will identify any options you have for controlling the use of this information at the time it is collected.
- You are also given the opportunity to opt out of commercial email or text messages from a particular CBS Interactive Web Site or service by following the instructions contained in any such message.
- You have choices about the collection and use of your data by third parties to deliver relevant advertising, as described in our overview of third-party online advertising.
Access: CBS Interactive allows you to update or disable the contact information you have provided through our Web Sites.
Security: CBS Interactive has adopted commercially reasonable information security policies and practices to help protect your information.
Accountability: CBS Interactive responds to user inquiries, participates in industry programs, and has adopted privacy practices that are consistent with applicable country, state, and local data protection laws.
Questions regarding any other aspects of our network of Web sites should be directed to our corporate offices at 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105.
We collect a variety of information about you, including:
- Information you provide directly to a CBS Interactive Web Site.
- Information about your computer and browsing activities on the Web Sites, including through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies.
- Information about you from other sources where permitted by law.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect to:
- Provide the services you request.
- Tell you about offers we think you will value.
- Customize the content and advertising you see.
- Improve your experience on CBS Interactive Web Sites.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or with your consent.
Disclosure of Information
We may share your information:
- Where we have obtained your consent.
- With our third-party service providers.
- With business partners who sponsor a sweepstakes, contest, or promotion; or who jointly offer a service or feature with a CBS Interactive Web Site.
- Within the family of CBS Interactive Web Sites and other CBS businesses.
- If a CBS Interactive Web Site is sold to another company.
- To protect or defend the rights of CBS Interactive or our users.
- When required by law or public authorities.
- If you choose to share contact information with us, you will have the opportunity to update that information.
- You can stop the delivery of commercial email messages from a CBS Interactive Web Site or service by following the instructions in any such email you receive.
- You have choices about the collection and use of your information by third parties to display relevant advertisements, as described in our overview of third-party online advertising.
- CBS Interactive is committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any privacy concern.
- We have adopted commercially reasonable procedures to help protect your information, but please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
How to Contact Us
Effective Date: September 1, 2011
You agree to be bound by these terms and conditions by accessing, opening or otherwise using any part of the CBS Interactive Web Sites.
2. Information Collected
Information you provide directly to CBS Interactive Web Sites.
You are not required to provide information about yourself when you visit a CBS Interactive Web Site.
CBS Interactive will only collect such personal information from you as is necessary to provide our services and conduct our business. CBS Interactive may ask you for some or all of the following types of information when you register for certain services, access various content or features, or directly contact the Web Site including:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, facsimile number, and mobile number;
- User name, password, and password reminder questions and answers;
- Age and date of birth;
- Other demographic information, such as gender, job information, and postal code;
- Information for a public profile, such as your interests and the address of your web site;
- Communications preferences, such as which newsletters you would like to receive;
- Search queries;
- In limited circumstances, payment and identity verification information, such as credit card number, social security number or comparable national identifiers, and driver's license number where needed for completing a particular transaction or payment or to access a particular service (e.g., contests, paid subscriptions or awarding prizes to contest winners);
- Contact information about others when you provide information about others or refer a friend to a particular site or service (note: such information is used solely to facilitate the communications requested);
- Information posted in community discussions and other interactive online features;
- Correspondence you send to us; and
- Information collected about you offline (including via facsimile, mail, or in person for sweepstakes entrance forms).
Information we obtain from other sources.
As far as is reasonable and practicable, personal information will be collected from you personally. However, CBS Interactive may obtain personal information about you from a third party, including through interactive applications (such as mobile devices, third-party services, and embedded video players), from co-branded partners and sites (for example, on our pages on Facebook), and from commercially available sources (such as data aggregators and public databases).
CBS Interactive will take reasonable steps to ensure you are aware of this processing.
The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
- Name, postal address, and telephone number;
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
- If you access third-party services (such as Facebook, Google or Twitter) through a CBS Interactive Web Site, or if you access a CBS Interactive Web Site via a third-party service, your username and password for those services and other information available about or collected from you on those services, as described in our overview of Third-Party Social Networking Services.
- Your interests and purchase behavior;
- Publicly-observed data, such as activities on blogs, videos, and other online postings; and
- Other navigation data, such as web sites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
Information we collect automatically on CBS Interactive Websites.
CBS Interactive Web Sites may collect certain information automatically, including:
- Your browser type and operating system;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet and that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- Sites you visited before and after visiting a CBS Interactive Web Site;
- Web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within CBS Interactive Web Sites;
- Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies;
- Information about your interactions with video content, such as the type of content viewed, and information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded;
- Upon request, your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs installed on your computer; and
- Standard server log information
Please note that all of the information we collect about you may be combined, including to help us tailor our communications to you and to develop rich online content and services across the CBS Interactive Web Sites.
3. Use of Information
The personal information CBS Interactive collects about you will only be used and disclosed in order to provide you with the services you have requested, as well as in circumstances you would reasonably expect CBS Interactive to use and disclose the information.
For example, CBS Interactive may use personal information we collect about you to:
- Fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to authorize a purchase, and to complete a transaction that you have requested;
- Enable you to participate in features such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes, and message boards;
- Provide you with electronic newsletters, information, special offers and promotional materials on behalf of CBS Interactive Web Sites, companies within our corporate family, and third parties, in accordance with applicable law;
- Analyze the use of CBS Interactive Web Sites and information about visitors to the CBS Interactive Web Sites to understand and improve our service offerings and, in accordance with our sharing policies, discussed below, to produce anonymous or aggregated, data and statistics that might help third parties develop their own products and service offerings;
- Customize the content you see when you visit a CBS Interactive Web Site;
- Develop and provide advertising tailored to your interests, as described in our overview of CBS Interactive online advertising;
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time CBS Interactive collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
4. Disclosure of Information
CBS Interactive is committed to maintaining your trust and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share information collected about you.
- With your consent. With your consent, we may share your contact information with third-party business partners. For example, CBS Interactive Web Sites such as ZDNet.com.au and CNET.com.au offer free access to relevant services (e.g., webcasts and white papers) if you agree to have your information shared with third parties so they can contact you about related products and services.
- Authorized third-party service providers. We share your information with third-party vendors who help us with specialized services, including customer support, email and text message deployment, business analytics, marketing, and data processing. These third parties are allowed to use your information to help us provide our services and not for any other purpose.
- Sweepstakes, contests, or promotions. When you choose to enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, and in accordance with the terms and conditions of the promotions, your information may be disclosed to sponsors and third parties who help design, administer and implement the promotion, including in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment and aggregated data analysis. Your information also may be disclosed as required by law, such as on a winners list. Also, by entering a promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that promotion, including allowing the sponsors to use your name, voice, and likeness in advertising and marketing associated with the promotion in accordance with applicable law. All terms applicable to the particular promotion will be made available to you at the time you enter the promotion.
- Business transfers. We may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a CBS Interactive Web Site, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- Legal requirements. We may disclose information about our users, including contact information, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with other legal obligations.
Please note that we may share information with advertisers as described in our overview of CBS Interactive online advertising. We also may share aggregated or anonymized information with third parties, including to help us develop content and services we hope you will find of interest or to help these third parties develop their own products and service offerings. This sharing of anonymized or aggregated information will not include information that could be used to individually identify you.
5. Your Choices
You can choose to enjoy content and features on CBS Interactive Web Sites without directly providing us with any information about you, however, as described above, some information may automatically be collected or may be requested so you can take advantage of certain features and services offered on CBS Interactive Web Sites.
You can opt out of receiving commercial email or text messages from a particular CBS Interactive Web Site or service by following the instructions contained in any such message. Please note that even if you unsubscribe to commercial messages, we still may need to send you communications relating to your use of the CBS Interactive Web Sites, such as service announcements.
You have a choice about the display of relevant advertisements by third parties; for more information, visit our overview of third-party online advertising.
CBS Interactive will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you choose to share contact information with us, you may have the opportunity to update that information on a CBS Interactive Web Site. You can also update or amend your information by contacting us.
If you believe that the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to ensure it is correct.
7. Protection of Information
We are committed to protecting your information. We have adopted commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures to help protect your information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, modification, disclosure or alteration.
If you ask us to shut down your account or delete your information, we will disable your account within a reasonable period of time. CBS will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer need for any purposes for which the information may be used or disclosed.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using CBS Interactive Web Sites but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. As the Internet is an inherently insecure environment, any information you send to us via the Internet is sent at your own risk.
8. Transfer of Data Internationally
CBS Interactive is a company with global operations. CBS Interactive is headquartered in the United States and has affiliate offices and partners in other countries. Information which you enter on our website may be transmitted electronically to the server of a website one of our subsidiaries and associated companies in another country. Please be aware that information you provide to us or we obtain as a result of your use of the CBS Interactive Web Sites may be collected in your country and subsequently transferred to the United States or another country in accordance with applicable law.
By using and participating in any CBS Interactive Web Site or providing us with your personal information, you consent to the collection, international transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information.
9. Privacy Protections for Children
10. User-Generated Content
11. Third Party Sites
13. Questions and Contact Information
CBS Interactive Pty. Ltd.
Level 12, 50 Goulburn Street
Sydney, NSW 2000
Attn: Marketing Department
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any privacy concern.
Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Technologies
Cookies are small amounts of data that are stored in separate files within your computer's Internet browser. Cookies are accessed and recorded by the web sites you visit, and by the companies that show advertisements on web sites, so they can recognize the same browser navigating online.
- To help us recognize your browser as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was visiting one of our Web Sites. For example, if you register on a CBS Interactive Web Site, the Web Site may save your password, so you do not have to re-enter it each time you visit.
- To help us customize the content and advertisements you are shown while visiting CBS Interactive Web Sites and potentially other web sites online. Please read about our online advertising to learn more about our efforts to show you relevant advertising.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of our interactive online content, features, advertisements, and other communications.
- CBS Interactive Web Sites may also allow third parties to place their own cookies within your browser in order to serve you with relevant advertising online, to help us measure traffic and effectiveness as described above, to provide you with access to social media networks, functionality and services, and to allow us to conduct any surveys and research in which you agree to participate.
Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and Twitter include their cookies on CBS Interactive Web Sites to support social network integration and functionality and for use according to their privacy policies. For more information, please see our overview of third-party social networking services.
Please note that CBS Interactive can only access cookies that we set on your browser, not the cookies sent to you by other companies. For information about your choices in allowing cookies to be set, please see "Your Choices with respect to Cookies and Web Beacons" at the end of this section.
Web Beacons and Other Technologies
We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons and similar technologies, to track your use of the CBS Interactive Web Sites. Web beacons (sometimes called transparent GIFs, clear GIFs, or web bugs) are small strings of code that provide a way for us to deliver a small graphic image (usually invisible) on a web page or in an email. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information on your computer such as cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, and a description of the page where the web beacon is placed.
We use web beacons to improve your experience on our CBS Interactive Web Sites, including to provide you with content customized to your interests and to understand whether users read email messages and click on links contained within those messages so that we can deliver relevant content and offers. Our web beacons may collect some contact information (for example, the email address associated with an email message that contains a web beacon).
CBS Interactive Web Sites also may include third-party web beacons. These web beacons allow third party service providers to collect certain information such as your IP address, your browser type, and the web page that you visited before arriving at our CBS Interactive Web Sites. These service providers process the information they collect for purposes of auditing, research, and reporting information about the CBS Interactive Web Sites and advertisements viewed on the CBS Interactive Web Sites.
For more information about the use of beacons by third parties for advertising purposes, please read about third-party online advertising on CBS Interactive Web Sites.
We do not share any contact information (for example, your phone number or email address) with these third parties in connection with their use of web beacons.
Certain mobile devices contain unique identifiers that can be used, for example, to identify the physical location of such devices. Mobile devices also typically transmit caller ID data when used to transmit a telephone call or text message. CBS Interactive Web Sites may collect, use, transmit, process and maintain unique identifiers, caller ID data, location-based data, and similar information when you rely on mobile devices, including to provide the services you request, tell you about offers we think you will value, and improve your experience on CBS Interactive Web Sites. CBS Interactive Web Sites also may require collection of your mobile phone number in order for you to participate in certain services or features and that number may be associated with such information.
Your Choices with respect to Cookies and Web Beacons
You have the choice to set your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, notify you when a cookie is set, and to delete your cookies periodically. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Web beacons are generally used in conjunction with cookies, so if your browser is set to reject cookies, or if cookies are deleted, web beacons will be unable to track your activity as you navigate between web sites.
It is up to you whether to allow us or third parties to send you cookies, but if you block cookies, you may not be able to view or access some or all of a CBS Interactive Web Site. By using CBS Interactive Web Sites and by choosing not to block or disable cookies, web beacons or other similar technologies where you have the opportunity to do so, you consent to the uses of your personal information in relation to these technologies as described in this policy.
In addition, you have choices about the collection and use of your information by third parties to display relevant advertisements, as described in our overview of third-party online advertising.
CBS Interactive Online Advertising
For more information on cookies, web beacons, and other technologies, please click here.
Some of the advertisements you see on CBS Interactive Web Sites are delivered by third parties. To learn more, please read about third-party online advertising.
These online advertising efforts across CBS Interactive Web Sites do not result in you seeing more advertisements, just more relevant advertising, and they allow us to provide you with free content and services on our Web Sites. We hope you value our efforts to show you content and advertising that more closely reflects your interests.
Third-Party Online Advertising
Some of the advertisements you see on CBS Interactive Web Sites are delivered by third parties who also collect information through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies about your online activities, either on our CBS Interactive Web Sites or across the Internet, in an effort to understand your interests and deliver you advertisements that are tailored to your interests. These third parties include advertisers, advertising agencies, and ad networks that may collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements.
In addition, CBS Interactive works with third parties to help us track the ads that are delivered to you, in particular to control the number of times you receive the same ad, and to analyze the effectiveness of advertising on the CBS Interactive Web Sites.
Third parties that currently serve, track and/or analyze ads on our Web Sites, and thereby may collect information about your online activities on such Web Sites, include, but are not limited to, Atlas, DoubleClick, EyeWonder, Mediamind, Audience Science and Pointroll. These companies may offer you a way to choose not to have your information used for advertising purposes. You can find more information by clicking on the company names above and following the links to each company's web site.
In addition, some of these companies are members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"), which offers a single location to opt out of receiving tailored ads from member companies. To opt out of information collection by NAI member companies, or to obtain information about the technologies they use or their own privacy policies, please visit the NAI consumer opt out page. Also, through the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA"), several media and marketing associations have developed an industry self-regulatory program to give consumers a better understanding of and greater control over ads that are customized based on their online behavior across different Web Sites. To make choices about interest-based ads from participating third parties, please visit the DAA consumer opt out page. In Australia, the Internet Advertising Bureau ("IAB AU") has developed (http://www.youronlinechoices.com.au/adaa-best-practice-guideline). More information and an opt out page to manage online behavioral advertising preferences with IAB UK member companies are available at (http://www.youronlinechoices.com.au/).
Please note that if you choose to opt out of having your information used to deliver advertisements tailored to your interests, you will continue to see advertisements on our Web Sites, but these advertisements may not be as relevant to you.
For more information about relevant advertisements delivered by CBS Interactive, please read about CBS Interactive online advertising.
CBS Interactive acknowledges that the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) does not stipulate an age when a child or young person can make decisions about their own personal information. Accordingly, CBS Interactive provides the following guidance to children, young people, parents and guardians in relation to persons under the age of 18.
Information We Collect
Children can enjoy content and features on CBS Interactive Web Sites without directly providing contact information. However, children who wish to participate in sweepstakes, contests, and certain other special activities may need to provide information such as first name, user name, password, email address, date of birth, city and state of residence, and gender.
If we knowingly collect, use, or disclose contact information collected from a child CBS Interactive may provide notice and obtain parental consent in accordance with applicable law.
We do not condition a child's participation in an online activity on the child's providing more contact information than is reasonably necessary to participate in that activity.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect consistent with the services requested by the child. For example, we may use information provided by the child to:
- Send a newsletter, electronic card, and other communication requested by the child;
- Enable a child's participation in certain interactive features such as games, contests, message boards, chat rooms, song requests, and online scrolling tickers; and
- Respond to correspondence sent by the child.
In addition, we may use a parent's contact information to communicate with the parent regarding the child's activities on CBS Interactive Web Sites. For example, if a child wins a sweepstakes or contest, we may use the parent's contact information to conduct prize fulfillment.
Disclosure of Information
Parents' Choices and Access to Children's Information
Parents may review the contact information we have collected from their child, refuse to permit us to collect further contact information from their child, and request that any contact information we have collected be deleted from our records. Parents may also correct factual inaccuracies.
To review, update, or delete your child's contact information, please contact us. You may also send your request to the postal address listed below. To protect your child's safety, we ask for proof of your identification. We may deny access if we believe there is a question about your identity.
Certain information cannot be deleted because of other legal obligations.
If you need further assistance, please contact us. If you would prefer to submit your questions or comments by mail, please send a letter to the address below:
CBS Interactive Pty Ltd
Level 12, 50 Goulburn Street
Sydney, NSW 2000
Attn: Marketing Department
Third-Party Social Networking Services
CBS Interactive has partnered with certain third-party social networking services to offer you their services through certain CBS Interactive Web Sites. For example, you can use third-party social networking services, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google or Twitter, to share information about your experience on CBS Interactive Web Sites with your friends and followers on those services. These social networking services may be able to collect information about you, including about your activity on CBS Interactive Web Sites, and they also may notify your friends, both on CBS Interactive Web Sites and on the services themselves, that you are a CBS Interactive user or about your use of the CBS Interactive Web Sites, in accordance with applicable law and their own privacy policies.
Certain CBS Interactive Web Site feature Facebook Instant Personalization, which automatically personalizes a user's experience based on information from Facebook. To learn more about Instant Personalization, including how to opt out of the service through Facebook.com, please click here.
Sharing of information by social networking services with CBS Interactive will be consistent with the privacy policies and settings of those third-party services. For example, Facebook users can choose whether they wish to use Instant Personalization on Clicker and other websites outside of Facebook by clicking here.
What are the "core" privacy principles that CBS Interactive follows?
Trust is a cornerstone of our mission at CBS Interactive. We are committed to gaining and maintaining your trust by following five key principles: transparency, choice, access, security and accountability. For more information, click here.
Will you share my contact information with third parties?
Like other businesses, we share contact information (such as name and email address) with vendors who process credit card transactions, with co-branded business partners, and when we have consent from our users. For more information, click here.
Can you give me an example when you will share my information with third parties?
If you enter a sweepstakes that is jointly sponsored by a third party, we will share your contact information with that third party. Also, if you seek to download a free whitepaper or listen to a free webinar about, for example, wireless services, we will ask you to consent to have your contact information shared with third parties who may contact you about wireless services. This allows us to offer you valuable content for free.
Does CBS Interactive share contact information with other CBS Interactive Web Sites?
As we continue to integrate CNET Networks into CBS, we will share information within our family of CBS Interactive Web Sites so we can better inform our users about products and services in which they may be interested. It is up to you as to whether you want to hear about special offers from us. You can choose not to receive marketing emails from us when you register with us, in any such email we send, or by contacting us.
Do you use my data for advertising on CBS Interactive Web Sites?
Like other web sites, we are able to offer free content and services through the revenue we receive from advertising on our Web Sites. We hope you value the advertising you see on our Web Sites, and we may use some data about you to tailor advertisements to your apparent interests. For example, if you visit a CNET site and view articles about computers, we may serve you with a computer-related advertisement when you visit another CBS Interactive Web Site. This advertising does not result in you seeing more ads; rather, it just means the ads you would otherwise see are more relevant. To learn more, click here.
Does CBS Interactive allow third parties to collect and use data about me for online advertising?
Our advertisers may have relationships with third parties who deliver their advertisements on our CBS Interactive Web Sites. As part of delivering these ads, the third parties may collect and use information about your activities on our Web Sites (such as the content you have viewed). These companies may offer you a way to choose not to have your information used for advertising purposes. To learn more, click here.